Does a Facelift Last Forever?
When people reach a certain age, they think about turning back the clock. The most obvious way to do this is to be able present a more youthful appearance to his or her family, friends and co-workers.
Even if you’d never considered cosmetic surgery as an option before, the first signs of crow’s feet, wobbling jowls, or bags under your eyes will be enough to have you heading straight to Google to find a plastic surgeon in your area.
You do have the option of using non-surgical methods, such as Botox, but the results from these treatments are temporary at best.
A Rhytidectomy (face lift) allows you to look and feel younger for close to 15 years after the procedure, but the results of your facelift last longer depending on a number of different factors.
There are, of course, limits to the results even the most experienced cosmetic surgeon can deliver. Genetics do also play their part because some people’s faces will age more slowly and recover more quickly.
The impact of your current lifestyle and body type will be readily apparent during your consultation with your surgeon. The elasticity and quality of your skin are major factors in the results you can expect to achieve.
The consultation with your surgeon covers all of this, but heavy smokers, heavy drinkers, compulsive tanners, or people who are extremely overweight won’t benefit as much from the results of professional plastic surgery.
Types of Facelifts
There are several types of facelifts available to you, each of which provide different periods of facial rejuvenation:
• Thread lifts – although the media made this procedure very popular, the results of it last less than a year
• Mini lifts – the results of a mini lift can last up to 5 years, but can be longer depending on the technique used and the skill of the surgeon
• Revision facelifts – these aren’t as effective as the original procedure but can last up to 7 years
• Full facelift with SMAS (superficial muscular aponeurotic system) – this more advanced treatment can last up to 8 years
• Full facelift with SMAS + volume restoration – the extra volume added via synthetics or fat injections can deliver results which last 8 to 12 years
Even if you’ve “enjoyed” an unhealthy lifestyle before you had your facelift, those decisions could directly affect the long-term results of your Rhytidectomy.
Quitting tobacco, limiting your alcohol intake, eating a healthy diet, limiting your exposure to the sun, and generally treating your body with the respect it deserves will improve your skin tone while also aiding with the healing process.
Getting a moderate amount of exercise while staying properly hydrated will also make your skin glow, adding to the results you’ll get from whichever type of facelift you choose.
If you’d like to discuss how a facelift will improve your appearance and outlook on life, why not call the team at Sarasota Surgical Arts? We provide a full range of cosmetic surgery procedures for our clients in Sarasota and throughout the United States.